Pittsburgh Garage Spring Replacement
Garage door springs are often taken for granted. Never do they know how essential this component is to the whole set-up.
Springs are a very important component as they not only carry the door’s weight but without them, it would be impossible to open and close the door. It is definitely not something to be desired when you end up having a busted spring.
Overhead door springs need to be tuned up regularly in order to prevent them from suddenly breaking down. However, even if constant maintenance is done, there is still a slight possibility that it will wear out due to previously unforeseen factors. When this happens, you will have to replace your garage door’s spring.
Garage Spring replacement and installation may look easy to a bystander but it is in actuality really dangerous to do. If done incorrectly, it can prove to be fatal even.
Let us get to know more about garage spring replacement and the things we need to know about them.
So what exactly are garage springs and what do we need to know about them?
As previously mentioned above, garage springs are vital components that help lift and carry your overhead door. With the absence of springs, lifting your door open would be a much more tedious job.
Garage door springs also need to be proportional to the specifications of your garage door. The size and weight must be considered when choosing the right spring for your door.
Before getting to the replacement process, there are some things we need to know and prepare beforehand in order to ensure the activity’s success. Let us start with knowing the different types of spring there is.
So, there are two types of garage door springs available in the market, namely, torsion springs and extension springs. Both of which are very much easy to identify or differentiate from each other.
On your garage door, the spring found on the top side is the torsion spring while the one found on the sides of your door on top of the tracks is called the extension spring. Both serve almost the same function. They both carry and support your garage door during opening and closing.
Now it is extremely important to know which kind of spring is needed for your garage door. As we have mentioned before, springs need to be chosen based on your door’s specifications.
This can be done by researching online the type of spring you need or better yet ask the advice of a professional on this.
How to replace garage springs
In order to replace the garage springs properly, you will need to have the proper tools and skills for the job. This activity is not something you can just do on a whim.
Prepare the proper tools you need for the job. If you are planning to replace your garage door, then make sure you have the following:
- Locking Pliers
- Winding Bars
- Wrench and Socket Set
- Adjustable Wrench
- Safety Glasses and Gloves
It is highly probable that you will need more than the tools indicated above but these are the standard tools commonly used when replacing or installing a garage spring.
After you have prepared the necessary tools, it is time to know how it is actually done. However, do keep in mind that depending on the type of spring you are using, the procedures may vary significantly.
Replacement of Torsion Springs
- Prepare the garage door’s frame. Make sure that it is held tightly in place. It is very important the frame in which the spring will be attached is stable and unmoving.
- Lock your garage door’s position in place with the help of the locking pliers and the clamps. This is to prevent unnecessary accidents and injuries from happening.
- Unmount the previously attached spring to make room for the replacement.
- After having removed the damaged springs, assemble the new springs firmly into the spring tube.
- Fasten the spring’s support plates to the frame of your garage door tightly. After doing so, mount the previously assembled torsion springs on the support plates.
- Reattach the torsion cable of your garage door.
- Adjust the spring accordingly using the winding bars.
- Test the functionality of your garage door with the newly attached spring replacement.
Replacement of Extension Springs
- Completely open your garage door and keep it in that position with the help of the clamp and the locking pliers. This is to make sure that unwanted accidents or injuries do not happen.
- Remove the busted extension spring from your garage door.
- After doing so, mount the new springs to the sides of your garage doors. Do make sure that the spring is only extended to about one inch even if the garage door is completely open. Secure the extension springs tightly on the frame.
- Remove the clamps holding your garage door in position and check your door’s functionality. Is it working well? If installed properly, this should allow your garage door to open and close properly without any problems.
Keep in mind that the above-stated procedures are only a general overview of the whole process so if you really wish to perform the replacement of your springs, then you will need to research further DIY tutorials and videos online to help you with the task.
Proper garage spring replacement can be a hard thing to do especially when you do not have enough knowledge about it.
There are a lot of things you need to know and prepare for before you can perform the procedure without any problems.
For Pittsburgh garage spring replacement concerns, there is no better garage door repair company to go to than Garage Door Pitt in Pittsburgh.
Garage door emergency is not something you can just take for granted and surely you must want someone trustworthy enough for the task.
This being said, if you choose us, we can assure you that our technicians are highly qualified and trained for the job. They will get the job done in no time at all.
Not only that, but we are also available 24/7 for your overhead door repair needs! So what are you waiting for? Contact us now!