Every single house here in Pittsburgh uses overhead garage doors as this is the most common and beneficial one.
Over a year or so of usage, sometimes we encounter problems or difficulties of using it.
The garage door itself can last decades, but the spring does not.
So, the most common errand we face for the garage door is a broken spring.
But for now, let’s find out first how we can check and replace the springs of the garage door.
Spot the problem
Are you having a hard time opening your overhead garage doors? Have you tried to check on it and see what the real problem is?
Usually, we will notice that some part of the spring is already broken and needs to be replaced—this type of problem we cannot ignore or cannot take time to wait to be fixed.
We need immediate action in improving it, as it is one of the essential parts of the garage door.
Tension spring is the one helping us to lift the garage door smoothly.
So, if this is broke, we are putting a risk or can cause an accident to our family.
As it may malfunction, that causes problems and danger to us as we use it.
Regular checking and maintenance should be practice, but in the case that it’s already broken due to usage, we need to fix and replace the tension spring of the garage door.
There are ways to do it on your own for immediate action.
A solution to Restore Garage Door Spring
Here are the simple steps to follow:
- Prepare the tools and materials needed.
Tools: Leather gloves, Rags, Safety glasses, Adjustable wrench, Wrench set, Clamps, Locking pliers, Socket/ratchet set, winding bars, Cordless drill and Hammer.
Materials: Double-life torsion springs, Lift cables and Bottom brackets
- Make sure that the door is locked down. Attach the C-clamp to the track to secure that the garage door will not be open. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Then loosen the unbroken spring by removing it from the centre bracket. Use a winding bar while you loosen the screws. Hold it tight as the spring will push with powerful torque as the screws release. Then unwind the spring removing the broken part. Make sure that you don’t have your car inside as you cannot open the garage door until its already fixed.
- Now we need to install the new spring. Put the left spring and new centre bearing, then replace the bottom brackets, rollers and lift cables. Thread the wires and tighten the drums. Wind the garage door tension springs and stretch it—lots of muscle work needed here.
- Put the garage door lubricant on the tension spring. Slide a paper between the spring and the wall to protect the wall. Then spray on the lubricant and wipe off the excess.
- Test the garage door if it will operate smoothly. Remove all the clamps and pliers. To check if the door spring is adjusted correctly, the door should stay in its place. If not, just add a quarter turn to each spring until the door stays in place.
Simple?! Simple as it said, but the actual preparation for the restoration needs lots of effort, skills and detailed understanding of the garage door.
We need to know the parts, the function and the right procedure on how to remove and place it back up to the small details of it.
As we said, a broken garage door can cause danger to us.
It may cause you a little more money than hiring a professional one, but if you’re not confident enough to fix it, it’s good to let the professionals handle it.
Best Way to Resolve
If you don’t have that handyman thing in you, don’t worry, in Garage Door Pitt, always there for you to help.
Compared to other garage door services shops here in Pittsburgh, we offer a good quality service.
And if you’re not from Pittsburgh, don’t worry; we also have some branches in other locations.
Visit our website to know which branch is the nearest to your area.
Hiring now our professional workers is the best thing you can do to experience service that will satisfy your needs.
It’s better to contact us now for further assistance and immediate response, so we can discuss with you the process and how we can restore your garage door.
Garage Door Springs Replacement FAQ
Do you repair any garage door brand?
Yes. There isn’t a garage door, door opener, hardware and the like that Garage Door Pit can’t fix. Is your garage door system outdated? No problem! We can help you fix it and recommend improvements if you wish us to.
Can I repair the garage door springs myself?
Here are some good reasons why you should avoid this task - Injury, Accuracy, Time, Improper installation could void your warranty.
Do you repair garage door springs on your first visit?
Yes, most of the time we can perform the repair or replacement, including torsion springs, the same day. Call us, more often than not, we can diagnosis your garage door or opener issue over the phone.