Every house in Pittsburgh relies on garage doors for security purposes.
Of course, the beauty and benefits it offers goes beyond the expectation.
Overtime, overhead doors fail to function.
Countless usage that exceeds its opening cycles can cause a garage door issue.
Garage door springs carry most of the tension exerted on the door.
They are responsible for reducing the weight load the opener carries.
The springs make it easier for the opener to lift the load it carries and back.
A broken or damaged overhead door spring is dangerous if left unattended.
If your door won’t lift, then the springs are in great trouble.
You can fix the damaged springs by yourself. Yet, you need vast knowledge on how to repair different types of springs.
If you are uneasy, it is ideal to contact an expert from a garage door repair company near you.
Types of Torsion Springs
Torsion springs come in different types, models and features.
As a homeowner, it is ideal to know what type of torsion spring you have.
An overhead door can consist of one to four different types of torsion springs.
It differs in capacity, size, strength, and weight.
Torsion springs are big metals placed above the door opening.
They function in a specific torsion setting that completes the assembly.
Standard Torsion Springs
- Used in a residential garage door setting. Uses a lighter shade, thus requiring one spring to complete the assembly.
Early-set Torsion Springs
- Early-set torsion springs are like standard torsion springs. Placed between the torsion shaft.
Steel rolling-door Torsion Springs
- Used in commercial or industrial structures; enclosed in a torsional barrel.
Torque-master Torsion Springs
- Circumscribed within the torsion shaft and held immovable within the winding cone.
Torsion springs vary in several ways with the extension springs.
You can watch this video to know the difference. Moreover, garage door springs replacement differ per spring type.
Tips to Locate the Source of the Issue
Did you experience subtle changes on the function of your garage doors?
Then, have you noticed that your overhead doors fail open or close? Your springs might be the source of the issue.
You must be wondering why your garage doors fail to function.
The following know-hows will be helpful in your quest.
- Doors stop midway.
- Wear and Tear on the torsion springs.
- Disturbing noises when opening or closing.
- Doors remain shut.
- Sudden outburst of the accessories during its function
Spring issues or any garage door problem need attention immediately.
Regular inspection, repair and maintenance is essential.
Garage Door Pitt offers a reliable garage door springs replacements that are ideal to your needs.
Steps on How to Repair a Broken Torsion Spring
Garage door springs replacement are dangerous if done without proper knowledge.
Torsion springs are huge metal strips that resist an immense amount of tension.
Furthermore, repairing springs under tension can cause serious hazards.
If you have a vast knowledge on spring repair, following the steps below might help you.
Gather all the tools and materials needed.
Tools: gloves, rags, safety glasses, wrench set, adjustable wrench, sockets, pliers, winding bars, clamps, hammer and cordless drill.
Materials: Spring material for the replacement, bottom brackets, lift cables.
- Remove all valuables inside the garage. Such as cars, motorcycles, motor scooter, sport equipment and the likes.
- Ensure to close the door and place c-clamps at the bottom of the garage door.
- Separate the unbroken torsion spring by removing it from the bracket. Use winding bars to loosen all screws and bolts.
- Make sure to hold it . Unwind the spring to remove the broken parts.
- Install a new spring material. Place the left spring and the bracket. Also, replace the lift cables, bottom bracket and rollers.
- Secure all the aluminum drums and tighten the wires. Wind the bars until the springs are in place.
- Apply lubricants to the new torsion springs.
- Test the overhead door if it functions well after the repair or replacement.
The steps are easy and reliable. In reality, preparation, repair and replacement is different. It needs skills, effort and knowledge about the situation.
You need to have reliable information as well as a reliable procedure to fix the spring problem.
To help you, you can watch this video and apply what you have learned.
As mentioned-above, spring replacement needs a lot of effort and expert care.
It may be costly, but it will secure your safety.
Hiring a professional from a trusted garage door repair company is vital to fix the problem.
Who To Call During Garage Door Emergencies?
People with garage doors tend to ask, ‘How to repair a broken garage door tension spring?’.
However, doing repairs by yourself can be dangerous. So, who to call during garage door emergencies?
You might be wondering on how to repair or who to contact during emergency situations.
The best way to solve it is to contact an expert from Garage Door Pitt.
Garage Door Pitt offers a fast, reliable and an insured service.
Moreover, repair staff and trained technicians are on call 24/7.
Emergency garage door services are available to accommodate late night and sudden problems.
If you are living in the city of Pittsburgh, Garage Door Pitt’s services are in your favor.
So, stop wasting your efforts and let a professional do the fixing.
For more details on the services, you can call or visit Garage Door Pitt.